You are in for a pleasant treat today! You know your favorite appetizer at Chinese restaurants? Lettuce wrap? Well, I am going to show you how to make it. The recipe is fast, delicious, and light. It’s also low-carb for those of you who are watching your figures for the summer!
Shrimp Lettuce Wrap
1.5 cup of raw, peeled medium shrimp
4 pieces of water chestnuts, minced
1 stalk of scallion, minced
1/2 of an onion, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbs ginger, minced
3 tbs cooking oil
egg white from 1 egg
1 tbs of cornstarch
lettuce leaves, preferably Iceberg, but Romaine is good too
1 Chinese fritters (油條), if you can’t find them, you can also use 2 cups of crumbled Fritos (yes, I mean Fritos)
1 ts white pepper
dash of salt
1. Prepare lettuce- Rip off each whole leave from the head of the lettuce, Romaine or Iceberg, wash thoroughly. Be gentle, remember that each leave is used as a wrap.
2. Hit and flatten the uncooked shrimps using the back of your knife, then cut into small pieces.
3. Place the shrimp in a bowl and combine with cornstarch, egg white, and white pepper.
4. On medium-high heat, place the oil in a wok, then throw in garlic, onion, and ginger for 3 minutes, until the onion is turning translucent. (at this point, your kitchen should start smelling like goodness). Add in the scallions, shrimp mixture, and water chestnuts. Continuously stir in the wok until shrimp is cooked.
5. (If using Chinese fritters, make sure they are nicely toasted). Crumble your fritter or Fritos.
6. Scoop the shrimp mixture onto lettuce leaves, then top with crumbled fritters/Fritos.